[systemd-devel] /usr on separate file system

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Feb 25 11:37:47 PST 2011

On Fri, 25.02.11 11:22, Matthew Miller (mattdm at mattdm.org) wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 04:23:27PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Well, it hasn't been working correctly in ages. It's really not new
> > policy we came up with here. It's just a warning to the user that setups
> > like this will break. End of story.
>
> Is this flagged for the Fedora 15 release notes?

Why would it? It's just a statement of fact, as a warning. Thinks like
locale, certain udev rules, udisks, SMART, the pci db, the usb id, and a
lot more have been broken since about always on seperate /usr.

The only thing that is new here is that we now print a warning that
things are broken. The fact that it is broken didn't change. And hence I
see little reason to add this to the release notes.

Also, it's just a *warning*. If you ignore it then things will continue
to work as well or badly as they have been doing before.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.