[systemd-devel] /usr on separate file system

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Feb 25 11:53:08 PST 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 08:41:11PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> really no good reason to split it off anyway. Folks who want to do ro
> /usr are aiming too low, they should go for ro /.

As I noted on the fedora-devel list, that's actually a functional reason for
wanting a separate /usr:

It'd be nice to support a separate /usr in this case as well, because
changes to /etc are usually a different use-case than changes to /usr -- the
former is administrator configuration actions, and the latter almost
exclusively package updates, installations, or removals. (Installing
packages may or may not also entail changes to /etc, of course.)