[systemd-devel] Restarting sshd

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jan 17 14:15:13 PST 2011

On Tue, 11.01.11 11:24, Miklos Vajna (vmiklos at frugalware.org) wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 02:12:13PM +0500, "Alexander E. Patrakov" <patrakov at gmail.com> wrote:
> > sshd.service has the following problem, which is a regression from a
> > traditional SysV setup and which is not present in sshd.socket +
> > sshd at .service. Yes, I know that the use of this service is discouraged.
> >
> > The problem is that one can no longer safely restart sshd while
> > connected via ssh. If one attempts to do so via "systemctl restart
> > sshd.service", all ssh sessions become disconnected. Also, the service
> > cannot be reloaded except by sending SIGHUP to the sunning sshd manually.
> >
> > So, I propose the following improved version of sshd.service, with the
> > ability to reload the service, with safety regarding "systemctl restart
> > sshd.service", and with protection against crashes:
>
> Great! :) I did not hit this problem yet, but thought about it'll be an
> issue.
>
> Is there any chance this could be sumitted to the maintainers of the
> portable openssh? Having a different version for each distro is not
> something we want for sure.

Yes, we definitely like to see service files submitted upstream so that
they are shipped and installed in the default install on systemd
systems. We appreciate any help from people who want to spend the time
cleaning up the service files, prepping patches, writing the autoconf
patches and sending them upstream!

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.