[systemd-devel] [RFC] Preset Files

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Tue Jul 5 17:07:43 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 01:07, Marius Tolzmann <tolzmann at molgen.mpg.de> wrote:
> On 06.07.2011 00:51, Kay Sievers wrote:

>>> Uh?
>>>
>>> Actually, I do want a way how people can reset all service enable states
>>> to what the vendor intended. And that should be "systemctl preset"
>>> without arguments I believe.
>>
>> That sounds pretty scary, it would usually just enable all installed
>> services. This probably causes trouble with things like syslogs and
>> login-managers that might be installed but only one of them should be
>> enabled at the time. Not sure how that should really work.
>
> But they will be enabled anyway after installation if no 'disable
> login-manager.service' or 'disable *' is listed in any preset file and
> systemctl preset <unit> is run?

That's true, and it's a problem that is hard to manage in general.

We will have setups where default/unconfigured services will conflict
with each other, but if they are configured, they can be perfectly
valid. Like two different syslogs or mail transports, with different
individual configurations, could listen on different ports and run
without any problem at the same time.

> i am just afraid that someday 'systemctl preset' will break my setup even if
> a havn't defined 'enable/disable *' anywhere.

Yeah, I see the same problem, and think it's a valid concern. We need
to find out when we get there.

Kay