[systemd-devel] how to let systemd mount /run very early?

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Thu Jul 21 03:14:32 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 09:55,  <yang.y.yi at gmail.com> wrote:
> i found some packages installed some files in /var/run and /var/lock, but
> /var/run is symbol linked to /run and /var/lock is symbol linked to
> /run/lock, /run is a tmpfs, it can't save some files permanently, Fedora's
> way is /run is a disk directory, it saves the installed files by some
> packages, in initramfs, init will take responsibility for mounting /run as
> tmpfs and copy /run in disk to this tmpfs, but for MeeGo, we don't have
> initrd/initramfs, so this only can be done by systemd in boot phase, anybody
> knows a good way to do this?

Packages which install files in /run (/var/run) need to be fixed.
Fedora has no packages relying on it. It has nothing to do with
initramfs, /run (/var/run) will always be empty at bootup.

Packages who rely on pre-existing content in /run (/var/run) need to
ship tmpfiles (man systemd-tmpfiles) instructions to populate /run
(/var/run) at bootup before the services are started.

Real services which startup as root, ideally create the needed content
themselves, and not use tmpfiles.

Kay