[systemd-devel] Error pam_systemd.

Stef Bon stefbon at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 04:27:45 PDT 2011

Hi,

I added the pammodule to the system -auth stack, in various pam
service files, like kdm, su and sshd, and got the
error:

kdm: :0[2244]: pam_systemd(kde:session): Failed to create session:
Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1

sshd[4221]: pam_systemd(sshd:session): Failed to create session:
Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1

It wants to send a message to the login manager, and see what the status is:

systemd-logind.service    loaded failed failed        Login Service

So how can I see what's causing this?  Maybe not activated?

When I manually do:

systemctl restart systemd-logind.service

it's running fine, and no error anymore when logging in and out.

When I look at the system log:

systemd-logind[1948]: Failed to get system D-Bus connection: Failed to
connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or
directory
systemd-logind[1948]: Failed to fully start up daemon: Connection refused
kernel: [    0.794179] systemd[1]: Cannot add dependency job for unit
systemd-logind.service, ignoring: Unit dbus.socket failed to load: No
such file or directory. See system logs and 'systemctl status
dbus.socket' for details.

It looks as if the system dbus is not started at this moment. Anyone has a hint?

Stef Bon