[systemd-devel] common RPM spec file?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sat Jul 30 07:36:46 PDT 2011

On Thu, 28.07.11 09:49, Andreas Jaeger (aj at suse.com) wrote:

> How are other distros packaging systemd? The systemd 31 release now adds devel
> files, so I consider creating a systemd-devel package.
>
> Can we all agree - at least the RPM world - to use the same basic split of
> systemd in subpackages? In that case we could keep a version in git and use as
> reference.

We have a slightly different split on Fedora, but we'd acttually like to
clean this up and merge two of those packages again.

> Right now on openSUSE we have:
> * systemd
> * systemd-gtk
> * systemd-sysvinit

What is this one for? (We used to have one like this, but we dropped
that when systemd become the only supported init system in Fedora)

> * systemd-plymouth

Note that we will soon move the Plymouth unit files into Plymouth proper
and they will then be removed from systemd.

On Fedora we have two further packages:

systemd-units: exists mostly for legacy reasons and we hope to fold this
back into systemd soon, if we manage to get the upgrade path right.

systemd-sysv: contains some compat code which i'd like to get rid of in
F17 or so.

putting this together we have:

systemd
systemd-units (will go away)
systemd-sysv (will go away)
systemd-gtk
systemd-devel

> And I would now introduce
> * systemd-devel for include files, pkg files and .so link
>
> This common usage would make life easier for people developing packages for
> several distributions that require systemd at build time,

So I am wondering about systemd-sysvinit. Otherwise it looks like we'll
eventually have the same packaging on Suse and Fedora.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.