[systemd-devel] /usr on separate file system

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Mar 7 08:21:36 PST 2011

On Mon, 07.03.11 17:14, Dr. Werner Fink (werner at suse.de) wrote:

> > > It has to be possible to fulfill FHS not only in theory but
> > > in practice.  That is that if an network interface has to up
> > > for the NFS share /usr then systemd should support this.
> >
> > The 1000ths time: it has nothing to do with systemd, and it fails
> > today already in many setups, also with sysv.
>
> As I'm the maintainer of sysvinit here, I'd like to know which
> setup fails.

Doesn't have to do much with sysvinit.

> > LSB means nothing for many distros, and you can tell it wrong, but it
> > will not change anything.
>
> Hmmm ... AFAIK RedHat has not left the Linux Foundation, does this
> mean that RedHat will ignore the results of the LSB working group?

Fedora has never been following the LSB really, stuff like libexec
does not exist in LSB/FHS, but does in Fedora. And on Fedora LSB headers
in init scripts always have been the exception not the rule.

> > What will happen is that /usr will be on the rootfs. :)
>
> All joking apart, I'd like to see some generic support within
> systemd for partitions as specified in FHS ;)

systemd has no problems with a split off /usr. Stop asking for this,
because it's already there.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.