[systemd-devel] /usr on separate file system

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Mar 7 09:18:08 PST 2011

On Mon, 07.03.11 18:00, Dr. Werner Fink (werner at suse.de) wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 05:21:36PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > On Mon, 07.03.11 17:14, Dr. Werner Fink (werner at suse.de) wrote:
> > >
> > > Hmmm ... AFAIK RedHat has not left the Linux Foundation, does this
> > > mean that RedHat will ignore the results of the LSB working group?
> >
> > Fedora has never been following the LSB really, stuff like libexec
> > does not exist in LSB/FHS, but does in Fedora. And on Fedora LSB headers
> > in init scripts always have been the exception not the rule.

> > > All joking apart, I'd like to see some generic support within
> > > systemd for partitions as specified in FHS ;)
> >
> > systemd has no problems with a split off /usr. Stop asking for this,
> > because it's already there.
>
> Then, also as maintainer of insserv, a tool for enabling/disabling
> the (remaining) LSB boot scripts on Debian and OpenSUSE with SysVinit,
> I'd like to ask if there is something todo for a better integration
> into the scheme of systemd.  Maybe to help package maintainers to
> convert the LSB scripts forward to systemd service, device, and/or
> mount units.

On Fedora we made sure that chkconfig (our insserv) forwards its
requests to systemctl if necessary and vice versa. It might be useful
to do the same for insserv to guarantee a smooth conversion. Have a look
into the respective git trees for an idea how this is done.

Here's a blog story which goes into details how to convert SysV service
files into systemd service files:

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/systemd-for-admins-3.html

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.