[systemd-devel] [PACKAGERS] rsyslog and systemd

Andrey Borzenkov arvidjaar at mail.ru
Thu Mar 10 22:39:58 PST 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 7:15 AM, Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 23:49:45 +0100
> Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
>
>> Heya,
>>
>> in the past weeks a couple of folks have been asking about the rsyslog
>> and systemd glue in systemd, and I never responded since this was still
>> work in progress. Things should be all resolved now, so here's a
>> heads-up in how things should work now:
>>
>> I have just sent a patch to rsyslog upstream:
>>
>> http://0pointer.de/public/0001-systemd-use-standard-syslog.socket-unit.patch
>
> Is there any reason why it resorts to "ExecStartPre=/bin/systemctl
> stop ..." instead of just using "Conflicts=systemd-kmsg-syslogd.service"?

It prevents systemd-kmsg-syslog bridge to be started at all on
entering multi-user. Only one of conflicting units can be started
during transaction.

systemd[1]: Trying to enqueue job multi-user.target/start/replace
systemd[1]: Looking at job systemd-kmsg-syslogd.service/stop conflicted_by=yes
systemd[1]: Looking at job systemd-kmsg-syslogd.service/start conflicted_by=no
systemd[1]: Fixing conflicting jobs by deleting job
systemd-kmsg-syslogd.service/start

> Both seem to equally work for me,

Well ... without systemd-kmsg-syslogd, you rely on kernel to buffer
all data until rsyslogd is started;all datagrams beyond backlog size
(default 128) are lost.