[systemd-devel] [PACKAGERS] rsyslog and systemd

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 15:15:48 PST 2011

2011/3/11 Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar at mail.ru>:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 9:10 PM, Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Btw, rsyslog.service seem to be installed into multi-user.target.wants,
>> why not syslog.target, which seem to indicate the point where proper
>> syslog daemon is running (according to systemd.special(7))?
>>

> Actually good question (same as for portmap) - who should pull in
> syslog.target then?

Yeah, I noticed this myself already. Quite a bit of syslog output
ended up in /proc/kmsg during boot because rsyslog was started rather
late (via multi-user.target).
Afaics, there is not explicit symlink pulling in syslog.target, so I
assume it is handled internally by systemd. Lennart?

That said, I agree that rsyslog.service should be pulled in via
syslog.target.wants and not multi-user.target.wants.

Cheers,
Michae
universe are pointed away from Earth?