[systemd-devel] [PACKAGERS] rsyslog and systemd

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 16:14:54 PST 2011

2011/3/12 Michael Biebl <mbiebl at gmail.com>:
> 2011/3/11 Andrey Borzenkov <arvidjaar at mail.ru>:
>> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 9:10 PM, Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Btw, rsyslog.service seem to be installed into multi-user.target.wants,
>>> why not syslog.target, which seem to indicate the point where proper
>>> syslog daemon is running (according to systemd.special(7))?
>>>

>> Actually good question (same as for portmap) - who should pull in
>> syslog.target then?
>
> Yeah, I noticed this myself already. Quite a bit of syslog output
> ended up in /proc/kmsg during boot because rsyslog was started rather
> late (via multi-user.target).
> Afaics, there is not explicit symlink pulling in syslog.target, so I
> assume it is handled internally by systemd. Lennart?

Turns out, that indeed syslog.target is not automatically started.
I symlinked syslog.target into multi-user.target.wants and
rsyslog.service into syslog.target.wants.

Now all services with After=syslog.target are correctly started after
rsyslog.service.

Lennart, I think we should add those changes to systemd and rsyslog.service.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?