[systemd-devel] user space boot time < 1s (was: Parallel startup with sockets and without killing the machine?)

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri barbieri at profusion.mobi
Mon May 9 12:47:33 PDT 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Paul Menzel
<paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Am Montag, den 09.05.2011, 20:04 +0200 schrieb Lennart Poettering:
>
> […]
>
> > We can now boot a reasonably complete GNOME userspace in less than
> > 1s.
>
> Is there a demo image for that? What are the hardware specs?
>
> Will you be on the LinuxTag? coreboot will be demoing systems, e. g.,
> Lenovo X60/T60, where hardware initialization is also done in less than
> one second [1]. Maybe we could demo a system with less than two seconds
> from button push to a GNOME system? That would be good publicity.
>
> […]

If you want to be fast, then I can help you with E17 setup, it's
faster than starting GNOME by a great margin ;-)

All I'd ask you is an SSD to make it faster, since loading stuff from
disk takes time. But that's not mandatory. Software stack just use
slim (DM,  in autologin mode) with standard Enlightenment E17 (if you
get it from SVN we collapsed/merged some modules/.so so it's even
faster as there is less runtime work).

I'll not be at LinuxTag, but I'll ask other developers and will let you know.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems
MSN: barbieri at gmail.com