[systemd-devel] user space boot time < 1s

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Mon May 9 13:35:27 PDT 2011

Am Montag, den 09.05.2011, 22:17 +0200 schrieb Lennart Poettering:
> On Mon, 09.05.11 21:29, Paul Menzel (paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net) wrote:
>
> > Am Montag, den 09.05.2011, 20:04 +0200 schrieb Lennart Poettering:
> >
> > […]
> >
> > > We can now boot a reasonably complete GNOME userspace in less than
> > > 1s.
> >
> > Is there a demo image for that? What are the hardware specs?
>
> No image. Measured on Kay's X300 (a few years old) with SSD, a few weeks
> ago. It's a OpenSUSE with a number of fixes and cleanups.

Well, maybe Kay still has that image and can share it or even plug in
his SSD.

> Note that these results are fluctuating. i.e. you won't get the exact
> same results on each boot. Also: by bringing up userspace I was simply
> referring to the time systemd spends doing that. What the services still
> do is ignored by this value. it's just that systemd goes idle, and its
> queues are empty and fully dispatched.

Understood.

> > Will you be on the LinuxTag? coreboot will be demoing systems, e. g.,
> > Lenovo X60/T60, where hardware initialization is also done in less than
> > one second [1]. Maybe we could demo a system with less than two seconds
> > from button push to a GNOME system? That would be good publicity.
>
> I'll be at LinuxTag, I live in Berlin.

I heard rumors about that. ;-)

> But quite frankly I won't have the time to do spend time on that, sorry.

Surely you will come by for a few minutes to see with your own eyes what
you hear from all the visitors about that awesome user experience at the
coreboot booth. ;-) We want to take a picture with you and get a short
comment for a press release of one of the main systemd developers saying
how awesome coreboot is (you can mention systemd of course). ;-)

Thanks,

Paul