[systemd-devel] icecream socket activation (help testing)

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri barbieri at profusion.mobi
Fri May 20 06:44:58 PDT 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 6:16 AM, Michal Schmidt <mschmidt at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 05/19/2011 06:09 PM, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
>>
>> If you happen to use icecream, give a try to the attached patch to
>> their SVN (svn://anonsvn.kde.org/home/kde/trunk/icecream revision
>> 1232790)
>
> You have in daemon/icecream.conf:
>  ICECREAM_CONF=""
>
> But in daemon/icecream.service.in you use a different name:
>  ExecStart=@sbindir@/iceccd $ICECREAM_OPTS
>
> After fixing this, the daemon works fine here.
> I have not tested the scheduler yet.

Ooops! Fixed and the new patch contains some extra controls I've
discussed with Lennart in icecream.service:
    Restart=on-abort
    Nice=5
    OOMScoreAdjust=500
    CPUSchedulingPolicy=batch

This will be nicer with the actual users of the machine, killing
iceccd before most stuff on out-of-memory conditions, schedule it as a
batch work to not interfere with interactive tasks and restart if it
crashed (maybe due the above settings).  Of course, if there are no
other users and the machine is used exclusively as an icecream node it
should not impact as everybody will have the same values :-)

I really would like to set the capabilities to reduce the harm that
such thing could make, but as it's a trial and error process, I can't
do it now :-/

Anyway, consider the new patch!

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri