[systemd-devel] Fwd: Re: Question about generators and adding new units in the middle of a transaction

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Fri Nov 4 11:49:04 PDT 2011

> "Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)" <rudd-o at rudd-o.com> wrote:
>>
>> I want systemd to mount file systems in parallel. That is all.
>>
>> ZFS does not use fstab for the purpose, it has its own zfs mount -a
>> command.
>>
>> ZFS mount -a will fail when:
>>
>> / zfs
>> /home ext4
>> /home/rudd-o zfs
>>
>> As it will attempt to mount /home/rudd-o without /home mounted.
>>
>> It will also not mount fs'es in parallel.
>>
>> Systemd has none of those problems.
>>
>> Without systemd mointing ZFS file systems, also, there is no way to mount
>> zfs file systems early. Wich means no /var or /usr on zfs.!
>>
>> Mounting zfs filesystems through systemd fixes that.
>>
>> So how do i tell systemd that we have just discovered a new filesystem to
>> be mounted then? Hotplug hook?

Did you try to hook up a /sbin/mount.zfs tool? mount(8) will call
filesystem specific helpers based on the fs type mentioned in fstab.
All these modern filesystems with intgrated volume managers are much
closer to nfs and cifs than to the the on-disk filesystems, and that
can be handled with mount(8).

Systemd will take care of the ordering, but I'm pretty sure we don't
want systemd to become a storage assembly service with it's own rules.
At least we should have very good reasons to bypass mount(8) here.

Kay