[systemd-devel] Restart and RestartSec in packaged .service files

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 02:37:27 PDT 2011

On 09/01/2011 09:19 AM, Albert Strasheim wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I was wondering if there is some kind of guideline about whether
> packaged .service files in Fedora, etc. should specify Restart=,
> RestartSec=, etc.
>
> Most of the system services shipped with Fedora are quite stable, but
> it might be could to have Restarts in place for services that crash
> once every few weeks, or that fall prey to the OOM killer or a
> mistyped kill command.

These options along with bunch of other once is something that Admins
should put in themselves and with my admin hat on it simply is not
enough just to add Restart=, RestartSec because you do want to get
notified when they fall over for example and have systemd take
potentially other actions if that's the case .

> If the policy is not to include Restart= and RestartSec= by default,
> it might be nice to have a way to override them without having to
> override a large number of .service files with copies in /etc/systemd,
> which will have to be kept up-to

Usually on servers you are running minimal set of services so the amount
of work adding option and maintaining those unit files is very minimal
and ( and on large set of installs you do it with different means than
hands ) for desktops user should never have to tweak such a knobs if he
needs to he would be doing that from some systemd config app not a file
so from my pov I dont think we actually need such a file but perhaps
system.conf could be extended to support all the default set of systemd
options.

Just my 2 cents...

JBG