[systemd-devel] Restart and RestartSec in packaged .service files

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Sep 1 07:13:26 PDT 2011

On Thu, 01.09.11 09:37, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" (johannbg at gmail.com) wrote:

> On 09/01/2011 09:19 AM, Albert Strasheim wrote:
> >Hello all
> >
> >I was wondering if there is some kind of guideline about whether
> >packaged .service files in Fedora, etc. should specify Restart=,
> >RestartSec=, etc.
> >
> >Most of the system services shipped with Fedora are quite stable, but
> >it might be could to have Restarts in place for services that crash
> >once every few weeks, or that fall prey to the OOM killer or a
> >mistyped kill command.
>
> These options along with bunch of other once is something that
> Admins should put in themselves and with my admin hat on it simply
> is not enough just to add Restart=, RestartSec because you do want
> to get notified when they fall over for example and have systemd
> take potentially other actions if that's the case .

We currently store information about crashes in syslog, which is however
not really that helpful.

I do believe however that we really need to work towards the direction
that we can auto-respawn services where this makes sense by default and
have a nice way to store away informatoin about the failure, so that
this is not lost.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.