[systemd-devel] Restart and RestartSec in packaged .service files

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Sep 1 07:15:19 PDT 2011

On Thu, 01.09.11 11:42, Reindl Harald (h.reindl at thelounge.net) wrote:

> > These options along with bunch of other once is something that Admins should put in themselves and with my admin
> > hat on it simply is not enough just to add Restart=, RestartSec because you do want to get notified when they fall
> > over for example and have systemd take potentially other actions if that's the case
>
> yes and that is why "systemd" should generate a notify-mail to root as
> self-written scripts are doing since years so they could be really
> replaced with systemd - the silent restart is a unfinished thought

I believe mails for this are not a particularly nice solution. Some
logging framework where we can place structured meta information too
sounds more desirable than this.

> also having the restart-options but no way to set them without
> override the whole .service file is simply a unfinished design

You can. Just override the file and include the original one with
".include /path/to/service/file" and override the specific settings you
want to override.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.