[systemd-devel] Jobs dropped to readily (predm/start dropped as a dep while deleting plymouth-quit/stop)

Mike Kazantsev mk.fraggod at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 11:21:34 PDT 2012

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 09:47:06 +0100
Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:

> 2. When resolving ordering cycles, is it really right to delete the
> whole job? That's quite drastic action! While I can see the logic in NOT
> doing this, would it be better to simply drop a given ordering
> dependency, not the job itself? What I mean is, still carry on with the
> job requested but accept that we'll have done it at the wrong time.
>
> I'm not really sure if it's better to do a job at the wrong time or to
> simply not do it at all. I think the latter actually seems more correct
> (i.e. no change). Just thought I'd mention it.

I can see two benefits in dropping the job, as it's done now:

1. You get a bug report instead of users accumulating "randomly failing
at boot" jobs. It's "something consistently doesn't start" vs
"something randomly fails", and I assume not many people read the logs
or care where that randomness comes from.

2. If started out of order, lot of daemons may find relevant paths
being empty and start to initialize them, causing long-term damage to
the system.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net