[systemd-devel] systemd inquiry

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Apr 10 14:07:12 PDT 2012

On Mon, 09.04.12 09:59, Mark Hounschell (markh at compro.net) wrote:

> On 04/05/2012 05:23 PM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> >'Twas brillig, and Mark Hounschell at 05/04/12 18:26 did gyre and gimble:
> >>I'm not a systemd developer but I am trying to use it in place of
> >>sysvinit to create a dedicated "run-level" for our application. Is this
> >>list an appropriate place to inquire about problems I have?
> >
> >Yup, ask questions here, but make sure you've read up on the various
> >articles and documentation and such like on
> >http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd first :)
> >

> Thanks, I've read a lot but nowhere did I find pointers to do what I
> need to do. So I thought I would just try to understand the process
> of getting to "single-user" mode. I expected  that I would be able
> to look at /lib/systemd/system/single.target for a starting point
> but it's just a link to /dev/null? I was then lost....
>
> So I just created a test target that I expected/hoped would just
> start a single mingetty on tty1. It did do that but I also got
> agettys on ttys 2-6. I also got some unwanted Console-Kit and Polkit
> stuff running that I also do not want or need. Again, I'm trying to
> understand how to create a run-level under which everything running
> is controlled by me.

systemd does not require CK, but some legacy software still pulls it
in. On Fedora 17 all major components have been updated not to require
CK anymore, but if you install KDE or some other less modern system it
is still pulled in.

Note that we strongly encourage everybody to use agetty instead of
mingetty. agetty is vastly more powerful, better tested and uses less
runtime memory than mingetty. agetty is part of util-linux and hence
installed anyway, while mingetty is a package of its own. Due to that
you will end up having more work and wasting more disk space and runtime
memory by using mingetty.

However, if you really want to use mingetty, then consider editing
getty at .service and change the agetty path in there.

> My /etc/systemd/system/test.target file
>
> Description=TEST run-level-4 target
> Wants=mingetty at tty1.service
> DefaultDependencies=no

DefaultDependencies=no should not be necessary for a normal target.

> AllowIsolate=yes
> [Install]
> Alias=test.target

You already have the file name of "test.target", hence an installed
alias of "test.target" makes little sense.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.