[systemd-devel] systemd inquiry

Mark Hounschell markh at compro.net
Wed Apr 11 04:41:25 PDT 2012

> On Mon, 09.04.12 09:59, Mark Hounschell (markh at compro.net) wrote:
>

>> On 04/05/2012 05:23 PM, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>>> 'Twas brillig, and Mark Hounschell at 05/04/12 18:26 did gyre and gimble:
>>>
>>> Yup, ask questions here, but make sure you've read up on the various
>>> articles and documentation and such like on
>>> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd first :)
>>>

>> Thanks, I've read a lot but nowhere did I find pointers to do what I
>> need to do. So I thought I would just try to understand the process
>> of getting to "single-user" mode. I expected  that I would be able
>> to look at /lib/systemd/system/single.target for a starting point
>> but it's just a link to /dev/null? I was then lost....
>>
>> So I just created a test target that I expected/hoped would just
>> start a single mingetty on tty1. It did do that but I also got
>> agettys on ttys 2-6. I also got some unwanted Console-Kit and Polkit
>> stuff running that I also do not want or need. Again, I'm trying to
>> understand how to create a run-level under which everything running
>> is controlled by me.
>
> systemd does not require CK, but some legacy software still pulls it
> in. On Fedora 17 all major components have been updated not to require
> CK anymore, but if you install KDE or some other less modern system it
> is still pulled in.
>
> Note that we strongly encourage everybody to use agetty instead of
> mingetty. agetty is vastly more powerful, better tested and uses less
> runtime memory than mingetty. agetty is part of util-linux and hence
> installed anyway, while mingetty is a package of its own. Due to that
> you will end up having more work and wasting more disk space and runtime
> memory by using mingetty.
>
> However, if you really want to use mingetty, then consider editing
> getty at .service and change the agetty path in there.

Well, I just assumed, obviously incorrectly the opposite, and mingetty
has been the default in a Suse dist. This is really just an exercise for
me to understand how to do what I've been doing in sysvinit all along.
I'll keep agetty in mind then.

>> My /etc/systemd/system/test.target file
>>
>> Description=TEST run-level-4 target
>> Wants=mingetty at tty1.service
>> DefaultDependencies=no
>
> DefaultDependencies=no should not be necessary for a normal target.
>
>> AllowIsolate=yes
>> [Install]
>> Alias=test.target
>
> You already have the file name of "test.target", hence an installed
> alias of "test.target" makes little sense.

Thanks for the pointers. I guess I need to read more of the doc.

Regards
Mark