[systemd-devel] Showing plymouth shutdown splash earlier during shutdown process

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Wed Apr 11 08:25:19 PDT 2012

Hi,

As can be seen in my logs of a reboot:
http://dev.laptop.org/~dsd/20120411/shutdown.txt

The plymouth shutdown splash is being shown really quite late.

As systemd shuts down fantastically fast, this means that our pretty
shutdown graphic is not being drawn on OLPC laptops. Sometimes the
image is drawn partially, and sometimes it is not drawn at all. (A few
seconds of systemd output text is always visible though)

Is there a way to make the plymouth shutdown screen appear earlier?

I tried modifying e.g. plymouth-reboot.service to have:
Before=reboot.service shutdown.target umount.target final.target reboot.target

However this didn't produce any noticable difference.

Thanks,
Daniel