[systemd-devel] Ubuntu, Upstart, and systemd

David Strauss david at davidstrauss.net
Tue Apr 24 21:47:50 PDT 2012

Mark Shuttleworth posted recently on Ubuntu sticking with Upstart [1]:

"Rumours and allegations of a move from Upstart to SystemD are unfounded:
Upstart has a huge battery of tests, the competition has virtually none.
Upstart knows everything it wants to be, the competition wants to be
everything. Quality comes from focus and clarity of purpose, it comes from
careful design and rigorous practices. After a review by the Ubuntu
Foundations team our course is clear: we’re committed to Upstart, it’s the
better choice for a modern init, innit. For our future on cloud and client,
Upstart is crisp, clean and correct. It will be a pleasure to share all the
Upstart-enablement patches we carry with other family friends as soon as
their release is ready and they can take a breath, so to speak."

I have a few questions I'm hoping people here can help with:

* How accurate is the claim that Upstart has far more comprehensive
automated testing? If systemd significantly lags here or could -- in any
case -- stand improvement in automated testing, are there any plans in the
works to remedy that?
* Second, has anyone been able to find the Ubuntu Foundations team report?
I've searched around, and the only page I can find [2] stopped publishing
meetings in 2010.

The rest of the paragraph from the blog post is embarrassingly vague and
defensive, but it would be good to understand more about the bullets above.

[1] http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1121
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoundationsTeam