[systemd-devel] systemd 28 time handling changes "breaks" ntpdate and date ?

Sam Morris sam at robots.org.uk
Wed Apr 25 15:41:02 PDT 2012

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 11:28:14 -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> Apologies if this has been discussed -- a search through the archives
> didn't find anything.
>
> Reading the announcement of systemd v28...
>
> "At shutdown we no longer invoke "hwclock --systohc", i.e. do not write
> the system clock back to the RTC. Why? In general there's not really a
> reason to assume that the system clock was anymore correct than the RTC
> so it's probably a good idea to leave the RTC untouched."

Hm, every time I reboot I'm prompted to run fsck because the last mount
time is in the future. Is this the reason?

# date
Wed Apr 25 23:36:41 BST 2012

# sudo hwclock
Wed 18 Apr 2012 03:01:17 BST  -0.057402 seconds

My system is a VirtualBox VM that relies on the user-space VBoxService
process to syncronise the time from the host to the guest. Is VBoxService
itself supposd to sync the system time to the hardware clock?

--
Sam Morris