[systemd-devel] systemd 28 time handling changes "breaks" ntpdate and date ?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Apr 26 17:10:55 PDT 2012

'Twas brillig, and Sam Morris at 25/04/12 23:41 did gyre and gimble:
> On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 11:28:14 -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>
>> Apologies if this has been discussed -- a search through the archives
>> didn't find anything.
>>
>> Reading the announcement of systemd v28...
>>
>> "At shutdown we no longer invoke "hwclock --systohc", i.e. do not write
>> the system clock back to the RTC. Why? In general there's not really a
>> reason to assume that the system clock was anymore correct than the RTC
>> so it's probably a good idea to leave the RTC untouched."
>
> Hm, every time I reboot I'm prompted to run fsck because the last mount
> time is in the future. Is this the reason?

Yes, this is the reason.

But that said there should be an automatic sync if you run chrony or
ntpd every 12s or so at the kernel level.

> # date
> Wed Apr 25 23:36:41 BST 2012
>
> # sudo hwclock
> Wed 18 Apr 2012 03:01:17 BST  -0.057402 seconds
>
> My system is a VirtualBox VM that relies on the user-space VBoxService
> process to syncronise the time from the host to the guest. Is VBoxService
> itself supposd to sync the system time to the hardware clock?

Yup, just make sure you are running ntp or chrony I believe and you
should be fine.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie