[systemd-devel] networking services management idea

Ferron, Chris E chris.e.ferron at intel.com
Thu Aug 2 10:02:01 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 8:28 AM, Gustavo Barbieri
<barbieri at profusion.mobi> wrote:
> On Thursday, August 2, 2012, David Strauss wrote:
>>
>> Unless the services take long to start, you'll have a much better time
>> with socket activation. With socket activation, the service won't just
>> wait until network availability to come online; the service will wait
>> until an actual request to come online.
>>
>> Also check out my other posts to the mailing list about network
>> availability levels and service management.
>

> This is applicable only for incoming. He cleverly mentions outgoing services
> that will query the network, such as updaters (packages, usb ids?, security
> announcements), ntp
Yes you are correct, this has more to do with outgoing services.

> I like his idea pretty much, but not sure if it would need anything other
> than what is in systemd now. Just provide the target names so it's
> default/agreed?
In my prototype I take care of this, but yes it would be more of an
advantage if systemd provided defaults. The different network managers
could sync, and service providers would know where to plan to place
services.

It also may be interesting to setup faculties for systemd to subscribe
to supported network managers, and handle the state machine to
activate the targets. systemd could subscribe to the specific dbus
signals indicating state change, and react accordingly. We could start
with connman and gnome network manager. It might be interesting?

With network state being important along with the types of connection,
it could be very powerful and even enhance security. NFC, WIFI, WIMAX,
3G, BT, WIRE, will most certainly have there own special out going
services.