[systemd-devel] networking services management idea

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri barbieri at profusion.mobi
Thu Aug 2 12:21:09 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Ferron, Chris E
<chris.e.ferron at intel.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 8:28 AM, Gustavo Barbieri
> <barbieri at profusion.mobi> wrote:
>> On Thursday, August 2, 2012, David Strauss wrote:
>>>
>>> Unless the services take long to start, you'll have a much better time
>>> with socket activation. With socket activation, the service won't just
>>> wait until network availability to come online; the service will wait
>>> until an actual request to come online.
>>>
>>> Also check out my other posts to the mailing list about network
>>> availability levels and service management.
>>

>> This is applicable only for incoming. He cleverly mentions outgoing services
>> that will query the network, such as updaters (packages, usb ids?, security
>> announcements), ntp
> Yes you are correct, this has more to do with outgoing services.
>

>> I like his idea pretty much, but not sure if it would need anything other
>> than what is in systemd now. Just provide the target names so it's
>> default/agreed?
> In my prototype I take care of this, but yes it would be more of an
> advantage if systemd provided defaults. The different network managers
> could sync, and service providers would know where to plan to place
> services.
>
> It also may be interesting to setup faculties for systemd to subscribe
> to supported network managers, and handle the state machine to
> activate the targets. systemd could subscribe to the specific dbus
> signals indicating state change, and react accordingly. We could start
> with connman and gnome network manager. It might be interesting?
>
> With network state being important along with the types of connection,
> it could be very powerful and even enhance security. NFC, WIFI, WIMAX,
> 3G, BT, WIRE, will most certainly have there own special out going
> services.

I doubt systemd should know or care about it. Then it would need
policies on what to do for different technologies.

I believe that just providing the standard target names is enough.
Then some user-setting may tell nm/connman that "wifi-online" may
trigger network-online.target, but "3g-online" should not.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems
MSN: barbieri at gmail.com