[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd 188

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Aug 11 05:39:48 PDT 2012

'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 10/08/12 13:44 did gyre and gimble:
> On Thu, 09.08.12 21:59, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> 'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 09/08/12 11:32 did gyre and gimble:
>>> http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/systemd-188.tar.xz
>>
>> I seem to get logind/loginctl issues with this release.
>>
>> Just installing this and logging in with gdm means that my session (as
>> listed in loginctl) is not listed as active (which obviously breaks ACLs
>> etc).
>>
>> If I try and manually activate my session (as my user or root) I get:
>>

>> $ loginctl activate 2
>> Failed to issue method call: No such device or address
>
> Interesting. ENODEV is an interesting error here. Do you have anything
> in the logs?

OK, I've found the problem and first off, sorry for the noise - doesn't
seem like there is any problem in systemd itself.

The explain the problem for the record:

1. I restored the prefdm stuff (we're not quite ready yet to switch over
the other dms), but forgot to restore the symlinking to
display-manager.service and dm.service (which masked our sysvinit dm
script).

2. As a result, the sysvinit dm script kicked back in and started gdm. I
didn't notice that this had happened and I was presuming that
prefdm.service was responsible for this. I was wrong.

3. When gdm started, it did so first and requested a session on vtnr=1

4. For some reason gdm shut down and restarted itself (gnome-session
reported a fatal error relating to Device or Resource not available on
X11 which could be to blame). When gdm kicked in the second time, it
requested a session on vtnr=0.

5. I logged in on gdm and my user session also requested vtnr=0.

6. Having vtnr=0 meant that the chvt(0) call returned the error that
eventually bubbled up to the dbus call when gdm called
"ActivateSessionOnSeat".

Once I fixed the simple packaging errors, all is well.

Again sorry for the noise

Col

--

Colin Guthrie