[systemd-devel] udev device mapper rules for early boot?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Dec 11 03:00:07 PST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Nikolaus Rath at 10/12/12 19:03 did gyre and gimble:
> Hello,
>
> I have created a udev rule to set the owner of a specific block device:
>
> SUBSYSTEM=="block",
> ENV{DM_UUID}=="LVM-yYuoI8k05GWxZnz9BeEIwPUGGeojzF3dZZmXTYRqC051Tllj76OHdDlzYhKZUu7u",
> OWNER="1000"
>
> If I disable and re-enable this logical volume with lvchange, it gets
> created with the correct owner.
>
> However, when I boot the computer, the device is always owned by
> root:disk instead.
>
> I checked my initrd, and the rule is present in lib/udev/rules.d as
> 99-udev-custom.rules.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion of how I could debug this further? Why is
> my rule ignored when the volume comes up the first time?

Random guess: does that user exist in the context of the initrd?

I'd imagine any getent() calls would fail in the context of an initrd
unless you copy all the passwd+group etc. files too (which is arguably
not a good idea, but perhaps you can hack it in some small way)?

Like I say, just a guess.

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie