[systemd-devel] eudev fork and patches there

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Mon Dec 17 03:49:47 PST 2012

On Dec 17, 2012 6:17 AM, "Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek" <zbyszek at in.waw.pl>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> eudev has made a project annoucement [1], and I thought it would be
> worthwhile to go through their patches and cherry-pick. I've now done
> that (until cc5c144a70fc37e 'Merge pull request #32') and the results
> regarding patches which can be used directly are not very impressive:
> one patch to fix clang warnings. There are quite a few
> build/compiler-warning in their tree, but they just seem to be fixes
> for problems introduced with their changes.

This has more or less been my takeaway. Its hard to tell what the concrete
changes are with all the noise in the commit log.

A clean(er) build with clang would be nice, but I'm not convinced many of
the -Wunused warnings are worth fixing.

> Potentially usefull would also be the patch c189ab 'Fix unused result
> warnings', but it would be good if somebody familar with the code took
> a look if it is enough to print warnings (or even if they should be
> printed) or some more definite action should be taken.
>
> Also potentially usefull are the changes to allow 'make distcheck'
> without gtk-doc, but they are spread out over multiple commits in a
> messy way, so could only be used as inspiration.

The distcheck target isn't something you should need to care about users
running. I'm -1 on changing it since no one routinely running this target
will chime in ;).

> There's also nice patch bfc850 'Add fallback path when accept4() is
> not available.' Do we care about kernels < 2.6.28? (This version is
> according to man accept4(2), patch text mentions different versions.)

I think their concern here is more geared towards ARM which doesn't have a
usable accept4 until 2.6.38. Recent udev requires devtmps which puts a
minimal requirement of 2.6.32(??) but I think Kay would chime in and not
guarantee that everything Just Works(tm) without a newer kernel even on x86.

Dave