[systemd-devel] [HEADS-UP] systemd and Storage Daemons for the Root File System

Mike Kazantsev mk.fraggod at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 04:18:53 PST 2012

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 09:21:30 +0000
Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:

> 'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 10/01/12 22:24 did gyre and gimble:
> > Heya,
> >
> > Since quite some time there have been unresolved issues with certain
> > unkillable storage daemons maintaining the root file system's storage
> > backing. To clear this up we have discussed the situation with a couple
> > of folks and are now proposing the scheme pointed out here:
> >
> > http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/RootStorageDaemons
> >
> > If you are involved with early-boot stuff, like building initrds, or are
> > doing storage stuff or are otherwise interested please have a look.
>
> Probably a daft question, but can systemd not simply look at all the
> processes running when it is first exec'ed by initrd and then add these
> processes to a whitelist of sorts? Not sure how practical that would be
> or how much nannying you'd need to do (i.e. if the process dies and
> something else takes over it's now vacant pid), but it seems like a
> simpler approach (at least for every other app than systemd).

If instead of a whitelist such processes will be added to, say,
"initrd" cgroup, then there shouldn't be any confusion about pid's and
their descendants should also be tracked accordingly.

> Obviously I'm sure I've missed something here :D

Given that process tracking is one of the core things in systemd, I
also think that there have to be some less obvious but fatal caveat in
such approach, if it was rejected...

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net