[systemd-devel] [HEADS-UP] systemd and Storage Daemons for the Root File System

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jan 11 01:21:30 PST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 10/01/12 22:24 did gyre and gimble:
> Heya,
>
> Since quite some time there have been unresolved issues with certain
> unkillable storage daemons maintaining the root file system's storage
> backing. To clear this up we have discussed the situation with a couple
> of folks and are now proposing the scheme pointed out here:
>
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/RootStorageDaemons
>
> If you are involved with early-boot stuff, like building initrds, or are
> doing storage stuff or are otherwise interested please have a look.

Probably a daft question, but can systemd not simply look at all the
processes running when it is first exec'ed by initrd and then add these
processes to a whitelist of sorts? Not sure how practical that would be
or how much nannying you'd need to do (i.e. if the process dies and
something else takes over it's now vacant pid), but it seems like a
simpler approach (at least for every other app than systemd).

Obviously I'm sure I've missed something here :D

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie