[systemd-devel] [HEADS-UP] systemd and Storage Daemons for the Root File System

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Jan 11 06:00:58 PST 2012

'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 11/01/12 13:42 did gyre and gimble:
> i.e. there are a number of processes from the initrd which stick
> around during normal operation which are still to be killed in the
> killing spree, most prominently plymouth.

Fair point, but in the plymouth case specifically, don't you want to
enable plymouth as soon as X quits and then keep it running hiding away
all that geeky text with a shiney icon/gradient right up until the last
possible moment?

Does systemd *really* want to kill plymouth on shutdown before it hands
control back to initrd? I'd have thought that we would actually want to
keep it active - initrd starts it, initrd stops it.

I'm sure there are non-plymouth examples too, so I'm sure your point is
still valid, but figured I'd ask anyway :)

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie