[systemd-devel] [HEADS-UP] systemd and Storage Daemons for the Root File System

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jan 11 06:31:47 PST 2012

On Wed, 11.01.12 14:00, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> 'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 11/01/12 13:42 did gyre and gimble:
> > i.e. there are a number of processes from the initrd which stick
> > around during normal operation which are still to be killed in the
> > killing spree, most prominently plymouth.
>
> Fair point, but in the plymouth case specifically, don't you want to
> enable plymouth as soon as X quits and then keep it running hiding away
> all that geeky text with a shiney icon/gradient right up until the last
> possible moment?
>
> Does systemd *really* want to kill plymouth on shutdown before it hands
> control back to initrd? I'd have thought that we would actually want to
> keep it active - initrd starts it, initrd stops it.

Frankly, I don't trust Plymouth there very much, and it's not always
clear from where it is started (i.e. might be started from the rootfs
too).

I am not too concerned about the timing there. i.e. when we kill ply the
shutdown is coming so soon anyway, that it should be fine...

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.