[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd v38

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jan 11 07:09:06 PST 2012

On Wed, 11.01.12 15:59, Rainer Gerhards (rgerhards at gmail.com) wrote:

Heya,

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 7:20 AM, Michael Biebl <mbiebl at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Am 11. Januar 2012 05:19 schrieb Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>:
> >>
> >> Compatibility with classic syslog implementations is provided, via a
> >> socket /run/systemd/journal/syslog, to which all messages are forwarded,
> >
> > Most systems setup rsyslog to use /etc/rsyslog.d/, so dropping a small
> > file like 00-systemd.conf there containing:
> > $SystemLogSocketName /run/systemd/journal/syslog
> >
> > might do the trick. Haven't really tested and run the  new journal
> > yet, so there are probably more issues.
>
> I guess this is not even necessary if the syslogd gets its log socket
> via systemd (as rsyslog and syslog-ng do). Am I right here?

rsyslog is actually too smart for us here, and will take the socket, but
also open /dev/log in addition to that, which we want to avoid.

I think rsyslog is actually doing the right thing here, though. It's the
smart and the right thing to do to combine the list of sockets
configured with the list of sockets passed.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.