[systemd-devel] [HEADSUP] fstab now parsed by generator in systemd git

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Thu Jul 26 03:16:56 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 8:31 PM, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)
<rudd-o at rudd-o.com> wrote:
>> Inotify? Calls systemd? Parses again? Dome already? In the above
>> paragraph almost all wrong.
>
> Well, I did not check the code. But when the generator creates the
> unit in /run, it must be notified somehow to systemd, no? Isn't it
> inotify?
>
> Nothing gets notified at generator time.  Generator time happens during
> early boot, where systemd suspends its activities, calls all generators, and
> THEN (re?)parses all unit files to determine the final transaction.  During
> generator time, systemd takes no action, receives no notifications, nothing.

Right, the generators runs before we parse unit files.

And we do not use inotify to reload systemd's config, and we do not
want to. It all has to be an explicit reload trigger, and not some
watch magic.

It's really hard to get automatic reloads working, because
configuration usually consists of multiple files, and not only one,
and we need to try to avoid reading partial configs, stuff just almost
always will go wrong that way.

Explicit triggers still *can* go wrong too, but it's far more unlikely.

Kay