[systemd-devel] setting up to allow separate udev and systemd builds

Kok, Auke-jan H auke-jan.h.kok at intel.com
Thu Jun 14 11:54:36 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 8:38 AM, Wulf C. Krueger <philantrop at exherbo.org> wrote:
> On 14.06.2012 15:48, Lucas De Marchi wrote:
>>> on source-based distros like gentoo or lfs, and on distros that do not
>> Don't you have the ability to split the built package in gentoo?
>
> I can confirm and emphasize what William already wrote - for us
> source-based distros (Exherbo in my case), there are basically two
> approaches:
>
> 1. Enable building udev without the systemd parts on the build system
> level. This is what William did and the cleanest solution, IMHO.
>
> 2. Disable whatever systemd-only parts that can be disabled on the build
> system level (e. g. --disable-localed), build the remainder and delete
> anything that's still only systemd-specific.

You're forgetting the easiest answer:

3. Don't provide split udev/systemd packages and stay on udev-182 (or
whatever the version was before the split).

Now, I've been involved with a source-based distro myself for almost 12
years, and, at one point you just have to sell "no" to people who want every
kitchen sink.

Just because you're a source distro, doesn't mean that you should be bleeding
edge, and force upstream to potentially break the build for everyone already.

I'm no fan of these patches, and I'm less of a fan of them appearing *now*. Keep
them in the refrigerator for 3 months, then post them.

Auke