[systemd-devel] setting up to allow separate udev and systemd builds

William Hubbs w.d.hubbs at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 13:40:01 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 11:54:36AM -0700, Kok, Auke-jan H wrote:
> 3. Don't provide split udev/systemd packages and stay on udev-182 (or
> whatever the version was before the split).
>
> Now, I've been involved with a source-based distro myself for almost 12
> years, and, at one point you just have to sell "no" to people who want every
> kitchen sink.

That is exactly my point. There are people in these distros who see
systemd as a kitchen sink they don't want. However, udev is more like
coreutils, which they need.

> Just because you're a source distro, doesn't mean that you should be bleeding
> edge, and force upstream to potentially break the build for everyone already.

Again you make my point for me. There are folks who see systemd as
bleeding edge and are not comfortable running it, but they still need
udev.

 Define how this forces upstream to break the build. The default state
 of my patches is to leave things as they are unless you mess with the
 two added configure switches. I do not see how this breaks anything.

> I'm no fan of these patches, and I'm less of a fan of them appearing *now*. Keep
> them in the refrigerator for 3 months, then post them.

Why do you hate these patches so much? Like I said, I made sure not to
change the default state, so if you don't mess with the configure
switches you don't change anything.

William