[systemd-devel] How to interact with `systemd --user`?

Ciprian Dorin Craciun ciprian.craciun at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 21:24:00 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Kok, Auke-jan H
<auke-jan.h.kok at intel.com> wrote:
>>    As such I don't see what I'm doing wrong...
>
> lots, not helped by the fact that you're not using systemd --system as pid=1.

    Please don't get me wrong, but I think that if systemd "makes" me
either use it to replace my existing init system or not at all, then I
think it is **very** broken...

>> XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/tmp/systemd-tests-run
>
> needs to be /run/usr/<user>/ instead

    Why does it need to be that particular value? If it **must** be
that one, then why have this variable?

>> DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-xcSICndjkx,guid=e28e135122b7479666f6bdda000032b0
>
> should point to XDG_RUNTIME_DIR/dbus/user_bus_socket.

    I guessed it, but I don't know how to convince it to do so...

> I think you really don't want to try and run a systemd --user (highly
> experimental!) without a systemd --system (stable), that would be the
> world upside down, and you're going to get every little part of it
> wrong.

    I think I'll give it a rest for a while until the `--user` gets more stable.

    Thanks for the help,
    Ciprian.