[systemd-devel] How to interact with `systemd --user`?

Kok, Auke-jan H auke-jan.h.kok at intel.com
Thu Jun 14 21:37:46 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 4:24 AM, Ciprian Dorin Craciun
<ciprian.craciun at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Kok, Auke-jan H
> <auke-jan.h.kok at intel.com> wrote:
>>>    As such I don't see what I'm doing wrong...
>>
>> lots, not helped by the fact that you're not using systemd --system as pid=1.
>
>    Please don't get me wrong, but I think that if systemd "makes" me
> either use it to replace my existing init system or not at all, then I
> think it is **very** broken...

How is that logical?

The way it is intended is that systemd --system sets some stuff (PAM session,
XDG_RUNTIME_DIR, and various other stuff, setuid...) for the --user
session.

>>> XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/tmp/systemd-tests-run
>>
>> needs to be /run/usr/<user>/ instead
>
>    Why does it need to be that particular value? If it **must** be
> that one, then why have this variable?

well, you could redirect everything. Technically ~/.local or ~/.config
will work too. However, pam_systemd.so will create some stuff for you
that will make this work, so, I wouldn't start out trying the hard way.

>>> DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-xcSICndjkx,guid=e28e135122b7479666f6bdda000032b0
>>
>> should point to XDG_RUNTIME_DIR/dbus/user_bus_socket.
>
>    I guessed it, but I don't know how to convince it to do so...
>

>> I think you really don't want to try and run a systemd --user (highly
>> experimental!) without a systemd --system (stable), that would be the
>> world upside down, and you're going to get every little part of it
>> wrong.
>
>    I think I'll give it a rest for a while until the `--user` gets more stable.

it's stable, but, you're trying to make use of it while it's currently building
heavily on assumptions that your system cannot provide, and, you're
not providing
an appropriate replacement to meet those expectations.

Auke