[systemd-devel] systemd unit files for Debian based systems

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jun 18 08:48:09 PDT 2012

On Sat, 16.06.12 10:39, Paul Menzel (paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net) wrote:

> Dear systemd folks,

Heya,

> do you know of a repository or location where I can get systemd unit
> files for Debian based systems? I found Lennart’s `systemd-units`
> directory [1] but it does not contain units for programs.

Those files should probably not be used, they are kinda out-of-date. I
have removed these files now from the web server, to avoid
confusion. (ok, i renamed them to "/systemd-units.out-of-date/", so that
they can be used as reference but little else)

> The best way would be of course that units would be included by upstream
> but this does not seem to be the case yet.
>
> At least I could not find those for openssh-server [2], GDM 3 [3],
> console-common [4] and cpufrequtils [5].

GDM should not be too hard, and will do this eventually myself if nobody
beats me to it. The reason why I haven't done this yet is that Fedora
currently uses "prefdm" for starting the DMs and we need to get rid of
that in all packages at the same time.

What would console-common do that systemd-vconsole doesn't do anyway?

What is cpufrequitls for? Why would anybody fiddle with that? "ondemand"
is the only CPU scheduler that makes sense, so what is this about? Also,
you can change the CPU scheduler via simple sysfs writes, right? So why
would you use a tool like "cpufreq" for this? tmpfiles should be
entirely sufficient?

cpufreq stuff really appears to be sugar for -Oit-feels-so-much-faster-now freaks...

> Also distribution independent files seem to be difficult since
> configuration files are located at different places as is the case for
> cpufrequtils. Arch Linux has the following service file [6].
>
>         $ more /etc/systemd/system/cpufreq.service
>         [Unit]
>         Description=CPU frequency scaling daemon
>
>         [Service]
>         Type=oneshot
>         RemainAfterExit=yes
>         EnvironmentFile=/etc/conf.d/cpufreq
>         ExecStart=/usr/bin/cpufreq-set -r -g $governor -d $min_freq -u $max_freq
>
>         [Install]
>         WantedBy=multi-user.target
>
> For example in Debian such files are put under
> `/etc/default/cpufrequtils`.

This directories should not be used anymore. I'd recommend everybody to
just stop using them alltogether, and not support them anymore.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.