[systemd-devel] Systemd socket activation of DBus in the user session

Kok, Auke-jan H auke-jan.h.kok at intel.com
Mon Jun 18 11:01:15 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Peeters Simon <peeters.simon at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> also i have been running the patch succesfully (both in system mode
>>> and in my systemd-gnome-session (which i will share soon)) for a while
>>> now (read: since last week) without any problem.
>>
>> ah nice! is that on systemd HEAD? Love to see the code :^)
>
> systemd-185-3.fc18, i dont like building a lot of stuff (poor atom cpu)
>
> the idea is based on your code, but split up in 3 parts:
> - the main daemon: starts session prepares for X and launches systemd
> as user (the daemon itself stays root)
> - an Xorg wrapper, responsible for extracting the X commandline passed
> in trough the environment, executing Xorg and reporting back to
> systemd when X is ready, this runs as a service within the user
> session

Have you seen/tried
http://foo-projects.org/~sofar/xorg-launch-helper/xorg-launch-helper-3.tar.gz
?

> - a small dbus catch/forward daemon to make logout/shutdown work
> without gnome-session-manager (speaks to the systemd user session for
> logout and logind for shutdown)
>
> gnome startup went from 18 to 5sec
> but i will share code soon (after i cleaned up a bit)(friday or the weekend)
>
> also when working with systemd both on system and session level i made
> a dirty modification to systemd-analyze (called systemd-analyze-dual)
> to get data from system and session at the same time
> (https://gist.github.com/2917504/).
> this shows the big picture of the boot process.

ultimately, we should merge that code into systemctl the way that
'systemctl dot'
works - I really don't like having a separate tool for one plot that
requires python
etc. at runtime. It's not going to be workable for embedded systemd.

Auke