[systemd-devel] ssh socket activation (Was: systemd unit files for Debian based systems)

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jun 19 10:45:47 PDT 2012

On Tue, 19.06.12 23:40, Alexander E. Patrakov (patrakov at gmail.com) wrote:

> IMHO there is one "issue" with the inetd-style approach: it is
> explicitly discouraged in "man sshd". It may well be the case of
> outdated documentation, as I don't see any of the indicated problems
> on my desktop or laptop. Still, it would be nice to clarify this
> discrepancy in the unit file.

I think this is mostly out of date information on today's
machines. Starting a per-connection instance is hardly distuingishable
from single-instance sshd latency-wise, at least on my machines here.

(I mean, I'd be happy if somebody would make sshd single-instance socket
activatable, but I think the inetd-style activation is pretty OK
performance wise and Apple ships SSH like this too, so I don't see why
we shouldn't).

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.