[systemd-devel] Minimal builds

William Hubbs w.d.hubbs at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 13:56:09 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 06:22:49PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Heya,
>
> regarding the whole discussion on minimal builds and people wanting to
> pick specific parts of the systemd build leaving out others, beyond what
> the configure switches offer: Here are some guidelines how we recommend
> people to do this:
>
> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/MinimalBuilds
>
> From our side this should be enough to settle the discussion.

It isn't for us, because, for example, if I use option 1, I have to do
the opposite of the second half of it. Our pm installs everything in the
place pointed to by DESTDIR, then I have to manually remove the things I
don't need. As was pointed out in a thread earlier, this is very
error-prone and definitely could lead to issues.

Another thing to think about from our side is, although the main
components compile quickly on a pc, how long would it take to compile
everything on an ARM-based machine for example? I have no idea, so it
could end up being really annoying to users of that platform  for us to
compile all of the main components and turn around and remove most of
them.

Thanks for your consideration,

William