[systemd-devel] Minimal builds

microcai microcai at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jun 20 18:49:37 PDT 2012

2012/6/21 William Hubbs <w.d.hubbs at gmail.com>

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 06:22:49PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > Heya,
> >
> > regarding the whole discussion on minimal builds and people wanting to
> > pick specific parts of the systemd build leaving out others, beyond what
> > the configure switches offer: Here are some guidelines how we recommend
> > people to do this:
> >
> > http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/MinimalBuilds
> >
> > From our side this should be enough to settle the discussion.
>
> It isn't for us, because, for example, if I use option 1, I have to do
> the opposite of the second half of it. Our pm installs everything in the
> place pointed to by DESTDIR, then I have to manually remove the things I
> don't need. As was pointed out in a thread earlier, this is very
> error-prone and definitely could lead to issues.
>
> Another thing to think about from our side is, although the main
> components compile quickly on a pc, how long would it take to compile
> everything on an ARM-based machine for example? I have no idea, so it
> could end up being really annoying to users of that platform  for us to
> compile all of the main components and turn around and remove most of
> them.
>
> Thanks for your consideration,
>
> William

If you don't want to use systemd, then don't use udev, use some thing else
old too.

most ARM-based machine actually don't use udev, they use busybox. Or an old
udev that don't require an recent kernel.

If you are stupid enough to use udev, then you probably will use systemd. :)

So, don't use the  "ARM" use-case.

I think the only reason is you want to support sysvinit. Oh, please, if
you're still using sysvinit, then don't use recent udev.

sysvinit is old, there is no reason to have a new udev with it. Use old
udev too.