[systemd-devel] 'Offline System Updates' examination

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jun 21 02:56:08 PDT 2012

On Wed, 20.06.12 22:23, Antonio Trande (anto.trande at gmail.com) wrote:

> 'Offline System Updates' will come as feature for Fedora 18. Reading your
> official page <http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/SystemUpdates>:
>
> The system update script now creates a btrfs snapshot (if possible), then
> > installs all RPMs. After completion (regardless whether the update
> > succeeded or failed) the /system-update symlink is removed. In addition, on
> > failure it reverts to the old btrfs state (modulo the aforementioned
> > symlink), on success it leaves the newly made changes in place.
> >

> BTRFS ? Will 'Offline Updates' be available only with BTRFS ?

Nope. But on btrfs we'll make a snapshot of the old system state. On
non-btrfs we won't.

> How will be managed all kernel modules come from extra Fedora repositories
> (like RPMFusion) ?

I no way different thn the Fedora packages.

> Will be possible disable completely 'Offline System Updates' ?

It's how pkgkit will do upgrades. THis has no effect on yum or anything
else, it will continue to work as before.

> > 1 The system is rebooted twice.
> >
> This is a very inconvenient. The short boot times obtained with systemd are
> useless if every update (frequent in Fedora) needs of twice reboot.

Well, whether the system is rebooted once or twice is hardly noticable i
would argue...

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.