[systemd-devel] 'Offline System Updates' examination

Antonio Trande anto.trande at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 03:31:12 PDT 2012

Hi Lennart.

2012/6/21 Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net>

> On Wed, 20.06.12 22:23, Antonio Trande (anto.trande at gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > 'Offline System Updates' will come as feature for Fedora 18. Reading your
> > official page <
> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/SystemUpdates>:
> >
> > The system update script now creates a btrfs snapshot (if possible), then
> > > installs all RPMs. After completion (regardless whether the update
> > > succeeded or failed) the /system-update symlink is removed. In
> addition, on
> > > failure it reverts to the old btrfs state (modulo the aforementioned
> > > symlink), on success it leaves the newly made changes in place.
> > >

> > BTRFS ? Will 'Offline Updates' be available only with BTRFS ?
>
> Nope. But on btrfs we'll make a snapshot of the old system state. On
> non-btrfs we won't.

Maybe BTRFS will be the default filesystem in Fedora 18, therefore all that
make sense.
If i use EXT4, are snapshots (that are a guarantee if update fails) not
available ? This automation of updates could be difficulty manageable.

> > How will be managed all kernel modules come from extra Fedora
> repositories
> > (like RPMFusion) ?
>
> I no way different thn the Fedora packages.

Explain myself: could happen that updates from extra repos are not
syncronized with Fedora repositories. This could thwart often the 'Offline
updates' result.

> > Will be possible disable completely 'Offline System Updates' ?
>
> It's how pkgkit will do upgrades. THis has no effect on yum or anything
> else, it will continue to work as before.
>
> > > 1 The system is rebooted twice.
> > >
> > This is a very inconvenient. The short boot times obtained with systemd
> are
> > useless if every update (frequent in Fedora) needs of twice reboot.
>
> Well, whether the system is rebooted once or twice is hardly noticable i
> would argue...

 To get back my desktop to work after one reboot is not the same thing
compared to the twice reboot. :)
Are you disagree ?

--
*Antonio Trande
"Fedora Ambassador"

**mail*: mailto:sagitter at fedoraproject.org <sagitter at fedoraproject.org>
*Homepage*: http://www.fedora-os.org
*Sip Address* : sip:sagitter AT ekiga.net
*Jabber <http://jabber.org/>* :sagitter AT jabber.org
*GPG Key: 19E6DF27*