[systemd-devel] 'Offline System Updates' examination

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jun 21 03:45:02 PDT 2012

On Thu, 21.06.12 12:31, Antonio Trande (anto.trande at gmail.com) wrote:

> > > BTRFS ? Will 'Offline Updates' be available only with BTRFS ?
> >
> > Nope. But on btrfs we'll make a snapshot of the old system state. On
> > non-btrfs we won't.
> >

> Maybe BTRFS will be the default filesystem in Fedora 18, therefore all that
> make sense.
> If i use EXT4, are snapshots (that are a guarantee if update fails) not
> available ? This automation of updates could be difficulty manageable.

Snapshots only make sense really on CoW filesystems such as btrfs, and
they are not supported on ext4. That means the extra safety net that is
a snapshot will only be available on btrfs, and not on ext4, but the
snapshot is really just the cherry on top, not a must-have.

> Explain myself: could happen that updates from extra repos are not
> syncronized with Fedora repositories. This could thwart often the 'Offline
> updates' result.

Well, offline updates are in no way different than any other kind of
updates. If normal in-system updates can handle this, so can offline updates.

>  To get back my desktop to work after one reboot is not the same thing
> compared to the twice reboot. :)

Well, the machine will reboot, quickly update, and reboot again.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.