[systemd-devel] `systemd-analyze blame`indicates GDM3 takes longer to start with service file than with init.d script

Mirco Tischler mt-ml at gmx.de
Mon Jun 25 06:51:07 PDT 2012

2012/6/25 Paul Menzel <paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net>:
> Dear systemd folks,
>

> after a system start I save the output of `systemd-anlyze blame`.
>
> With Debian Sid/unstable, GDM 3.4.1 and the shipped init.d script on
> average it took about 120 ms. For example:
>
>    124ms gdm3.service
>
> Adding the following service file
>
>        $ more /lib/systemd/system/gdm3.service[Unit]
>        Description=GNOME Display Manager
>        After=systemd-user-sessions.service
>
>        [Service]
>        ExecStart=/usr/sbin/gdm3 --nodaemon
>        Type=dbus
>        BusName=org.gnome.DisplayManager
>
>        [Install]
>        WantedBy=graphical.target
>
> I now get 190 ms on average, for example:
>
>    188ms gdm3.service
>
> Can you think of a reason for that? It should at least not take more
> time, should not it?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Paul

from systemd.service, section Type=dbus:
"systemd will proceed starting follow-up units after the D-Bus bus
name has been acquired."

Seems like systemd waits until the busname has been acquired before it
recognizes the start as finished.
If gdm is started via initscript, the type is set to forking and
systemd probably simply thinks the startup has finished a little
earlier.

Mirco